If you have a chance to visit a traditional Japanese home, you could see and feel the soft regular grass woven tatami through the living room, kitchen, and bedroom. Japanese people use tatami which placed on the floors to sleep, the best tatami mats for sleeping even breathes in an earthy fragrance that embraces your tight sleeping.
The Top-Rated Tatami Mats for Sleeping (Recommendation)
- IKEHIKO JAPANESE TRADITIONAL IGUSA TATAMI MATTRESS
- FULI JAPANESE TRADITIONAL IGUSA (RUSH GRASS) TATAMI MATTRESS
- EMOOR JAPANESE TRADITIONAL TATAMI MATTRESS
- MUSTMAT TATAMI JAPANESE MAT
- ORIENTAL FURNITURE FOLDING TATAMI MAT
- MUSTMAT JAPANESE TRADITIONAL FUTON MATTRESS
- ORIENTAL FURNITURE KING TATAMI MAT
On This Page
- Noticeable Information Around Tatami Mats for Sleeping
- Best Tatami Mat for Sleeping Shortlist (Updated List)
- The Best Tatami Mat for Sleeping
- #1. IKEHIKO JAPANESE TRADITIONAL IGUSA TATAMI MATTRESS
- #2. FULI JAPANESE TRADITIONAL IGUSA (RUSH GRASS) TATAMI MATTRESS
- #3. EMOOR JAPANESE TRADITIONAL TATAMI MATTRESS
- #4. MUSTMAT TATAMI JAPANESE MAT
- #5. ORIENTAL FURNITURE FOLDING TATAMI MAT
- #6. MUSTMAT JAPANESE TRADITIONAL FUTON MATTRESS
- #7. ORIENTAL FURNITURE KING TATAMI MAT
- Commonly Asked Questions About Tatami Mats Sleeping
- Best Japanese Kitchen Knife
- The Best Japanese Whetstone
- Best Tabletop Yakitori Grill
- Japanese Umbrella Pine For Sale
- Japanese-style rooms
- Thelitsea.com – Homepage
Noticeable Information Around Tatami Mats for Sleeping
1. The Function
The Japanese have maintained a unique and minimalist way of sleeping for thousands of years.
They sleep on the floor; the bed is a combination of cushion and tatami mats underneath.
It is soft rice straw fill mats with a grass cover.
Traditionally, they are used as flooring throughout all rooms; however, nowadays, they are mainly used in the sleeping room.
It makes the floor more comfortable and act as a moisture barrier between the futon mattress and the floor.
There is a built-in moisture resistant layer in most of the modern Tatami mats.
Over time, the traditional sleeping method, which is popular in Japan, become a frequent selection for the foreigner who is finding a new sleeping style, especially who follow the minimalist lifestyle.
It is flexibly used.
You could use it as a sleeping tatami mat, or home’s main flooring (Tatami room), a mattress topper.
Besides, it could be used in the yoga room, kitchen mat, art material, and children’s play area.
2. Brief History
In the making process, rice straw is used to form the shape, and woven rush grass is covering the core.
Wood chipboards or polystyrene foam is the mat’s foundation.
Tatami mattresses are designed with a length is double the size of the width.
The option of the best tatami mats for sleeping relies on the interest and requirements of the users.
In the beginning, it was mainly used for the nobility and seating high-ranking class.
Later, it is widely used in traditional Japanese style rooms and is considered a symbol for home.
Over time, the traditional hand-woven Tatami mat being made a staple in Japan’s home.
Nowadays, as an environmentally friendly and biodegradable material, it is the ideal choice for other forms of flooring.
3. Sleeping on Tatami mats
You could immediately notice the fresh smell of cut straw and the greenish color of mats when you walk into a room with new tatami.
They will reduce the fresh scent and the greenish tinge as the tatami age; being so well known for the straw color. The tatami innards these days are mostly particle boards or some sort of Styrofoam.
It is usually used for sleeping on the floors.
Many people want to sleep on the bare tatami floor because they provide sufficient comfort and padding.
Moreover, the best tatami mats for sleeping could improve blood circulation, correct posture, and prevention of back and neck pain.
Many people are being helped with back pain when they sleep on the bare tatami mats.
It is a healthy way to rest your back and a natural way to get restful sleep.
Tatami mats in Japan are made naturally from organic materials and carefully design, they are the perfect form of flooring which provides optimal comfort for sleeping and daily activities.
Tatami flooring is a popular theme in homes for those who favor minimalist design and love the Japanese interior design concept.
4. Preparing a Tatami Bed
Japanese people follow a regular arrangement for a sleeping bed: Tatami mats are at the bottom, then a futon (a thin foam bad) acts as an extra layer above.
When it is time to sleep, the Futon is rolled out over the tatami, and rolled back up again, and stored during the day.
This allows the tatami room or sleeping area to be used for other purposes during the day, and for the Futon to air out.
To make a full set of the Japanese sleep system, they use a buckwheat hull pillow which allows air to circulate throughout the pad, keeping the surface fresh.
Notably, in Japanese tatami mat style, they roll up the bed for the day and are not rolled back out until bedtime, so usually, they do not have a nap in bed.
They have the term “Inemuri” refers to the phenomenon of napping wherever: at work, on the subway, on a park bench.
They could take a quick nap when they need a quick recharge.
Best Tatami Mat for Sleeping Shortlist (Updated List)
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can be changed
The Best Tatami Mat for Sleeping
Buying a tatami mat is a unique way to make your home a fresh new look and could change your sleeping habit.
There are various tatami mat sizes and tatami mat prices on the marketplace. Let’s check now!
- Item weight: 5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 38 x 83 x0.5 in
HIKO is a Japanese firm which distributes traditional tatami mats for various size and purposes all over the world.
The brand is famous for high-quality, comfortable mats and the luxurious feeling of a tatami mattress.
This Tatami mat is made from 100% rush grass grown in Japan with a tatami mat size of 39 x 83 x 0.5 in. It could be used as an underlay mattress for Japanese Futon.
- Do not use harmful chemicals
- It has an antibacterial effect by using natural material.
- It is easy to fold up and wipe down
- A fresh-cut grass strong scent.
- The smell could be extraordinarily strong for some users; it takes time for the scent to disappear.
- Item weight: 13 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 55 x 83 x 0.5 in
The FULI Tatami mats provide maximum comfort for your sleep. It is made of 100% rush grass grown in Japan by Japanese craftsmen and could be folded in three.
It is a perfect option for laying out in the summer thanks to the cooling mat in the hot summertime.
The mattress could improve the air circulation beneath the cotton futon.
- Easy to be folded up and stored
- The scent of natural grass could help users to chill out and comfortable to sleep.
- Could be used as playmat during the day
- Use as an underlayer of Futon, not fit the bed frame
- The earthy smell is quite strong for some people, but it could fade off in a few days.
- Item weight: 9.23 pound
- Product Dimensions: 39.3 x 28.5 x 1.9 in
The EMOOR Tatami mat is 100% made from traditional rush grass with a beautiful design and constructed.
It could be used as an underlayer for the Futon and flooring in other spaces such as the dining area, living room, and playing area.
The surface is made of Igusa, a grass that is purely made in Japan.
It takes around one year to harvest.
After that, it is dried, selected woven, and finished by Japanese craftsmen.
Finally, with some special features, this item is one of the best tatami mats for sleeping.
- Natural color without dying.
- It is easy to carry and store with a Lightweight, thin layer and could be tri-folded.
- The material absorbs humid, so it is smooth and dry when touching
- Fresh and relaxing green scent.
- Some customer feels that the smell is mixed with grassy scent and chemical elements.
- There could be reek of dust on the floor after use.
- Item weight: 8.29 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 36 x 20.5 x 6.1 inches.
These Tatami mats for sale could be folded in four, made of 100% rush grass, and come in blue color.
The surface is rush grass, and the backside is a non-woven fabric.
It is good to solve the pain back problem but might take a few nights to get used to sleeping on the firm- surface of this bed.
It could be folded up easily to storage with the folding size is 35.4 x 19.7 x 4.8 in.
Besides being used as a sleeping mat, it is also suitable for meditation/ yoga/ Zen space and the Japanese tea room.
- Reduce pain back
- Multi-function: bed/meditation/yoga space, tearoom
- Convenient to store by folding up and easy to wipe off with a soft cloth.
- The strong smell of rush grass
- Take times to be comfortable to sleep on the firm surface
- Item weight:1.5 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 79 x 35.5 x 0.25 inches.
The Oriental tatami mat is an authentic, tightly woven, portable mat that is made of natural rush grass over fiberboard.
It is convenient to use for sleeping, beach time, and picnic as it could be folded up to fit in a fabric tote bad.
It is rated as one of the best Tatami mats for sleeping on amazon.
For the queen size futon, you need to buy two species.
- Noticeably lightweight, comfortable, portable to bring to anywhere.
- Natural smell
- The stitches in the junction could come off after use.
- Item weight: 10 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 78 x 31.5 x 2 inches.
It is easy to fold up and brought along with you to the camp to make a stylish and comfortable place to sleep.
The Oriental Tatami sleeping mats are a luxury foam-filled Tatami mattress, which is crafted from traditional Japanese rush grass on top of lightweight foam.
- Unique and practical design follow the Japanese style
- Folding up quickly and easily
- Comfortable for sleep.
- Quite heavy, compared to other ones.
- The smell of rush grass is quite strong for new users
- Item weight: 70 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 80 x 38 x 2 inches.
To fit the King size bed (76 in wide x 90 in long), it should be purchased in pairs.
The inside of this king mat is baked dried rice straw fill which brings strength and durability.
Each mat is sewn with a black fabric border and bound with twine.
Also, there is a moisture-resistant barrier in the foundation of the mat to protect the users when laying back on the floor.
- The high-quality mat brings the nostalgic feel of a home
- Rolling up easily to save the space
- Required to proper care in a humid atmosphere, easy to get mold.
Commonly Asked Questions About Tatami Mats Sleeping
1. Why do Japanese sleep on mats?
It is common practice in Japan to sleep on a cotton futon over a tatami mattress made of rice straw and covered with soft grass.
The Japanese believe in earthy effects so this practice will help your muscles relax, allowing you to align your hips, shoulders, and spine naturally.
2. Are Tamami mats comfortable for sleeping on?
Sleeping on the tatami mats with a firm cushion could bring many benefits for the health: reducing back pain, promoting night rest.
It is eco-friendly mattress with a natural scent that help you to relax and chill out.
Besides, you can fold up the mat in the daytime and have more space for other activities.
However, it is quite firm, and it might take a few nights for you to get used to sleeping on the firm surface, but the Futon could help.
It is depended on the individual interests to choose the best tatami mats for sleeping.
3. How to clean Tatami mats?
It could be easily clean by floor mop, soft towel, or vacuum.
However, because of being made from natural grass, it could easily mold in a humid environment.
So, it requires proper cleaning to avoid this problem.
4. What are the tatami mats used for?
It brings a fresh new look to your room by adding Japanese features.
Besides using a tatami mat as a bed, it could be used as tatami martial arts in the living room.
You could create a peaceful space for yoga activities.
Many yoga classes use tatami flooring to promote a sense of calmness and natural feeling.
5. Are the tatami mats durable?
It is constructed with a sturdy wooden base and intertwined with tightly woven rush grass.
It will use up to years with good maintenance and proper caring.
However, because of the natural material, it could be mold in a humid environment.
6. What Tatami smells like?
Tatami floor mat is generally made of and trimmed with, “Igusa” or a soft rush plant.
The most characteristic feature of this green floor mat, which can easily tell, is the smell of “Igusa;” it has a very special smell, especially when it’s fresh and newly installed in a room.
With the amazing benefits of Tatami mat Japan, it seems a perfect choice for back therapy which provides a relaxing, therapeutic sleeping experience and worth trying for your bedroom.
The best Tatami mats for sleeping support pain back treatment and bring you to deep sleep. If you worried that it might to too firm for you, a thick futon and trifold pad under the Futon could be used to make it more comfortable.