If you love Japanese style furniture or follow minimalist decoration, you could know about tatami – Japan’s Traditional Mats, a popular material for household equipment. The most popular item is Tatami mats, which is used for flooring or an under layer of Japanese style bed. Besides, the Tatami Seat Cushion is also widely used in the tea room in Japan and other countries as a decoration and a convenient home-living item.
The best seat cushion is very comfortable to use and bring unique Japanese culture to your space.
The Top-Rated Tatami Seat Cushions (Recommendation)
- DUOSHIDA FLOOR PILLOW SITTING CUSHION
- HUAWELL 2 PIECE JAPANESE TRADITIONAL ROUND BRAIDED NATURE HANDMADE STRAW WOVEN SEAT CUSHION
- ESHOW 2 PIECES JAPANESE CUSHION SET FLOOR PILLOW
- YA-TUBE HAND KNITTED CABLE STYLE POUF FLOOR PILLOW SITTING CUSHION, ROUND PADDED ROOM FLOOR STRAW MAT FOR OUTDOOR SEAT
- ORIENTAL FURNITURE MEDITATION BACKREST CHAIR – BLACK & RED HIBISCUS
On This Page
- What is tatami made of?
- Best Tatami Seat Cushions Shortlist (Updated List)
- The Best Tatami Seat Cushion
- #1. DUOSHIDA FLOOR PILLOW SITTING CUSHION
- #2. HUAWELL 2 PIECE JAPANESE TRADITIONAL ROUND BRAIDED NATURE HANDMADE STRAW WOVEN SEAT CUSHION
- #3. ESHOW 2 PIECES JAPANESE CUSHION SET FLOOR PILLOW
- #4. YA-TUBE HAND KNITTED CABLE STYLE POUF FLOOR PILLOW SITTING CUSHION, ROUND PADDED ROOM FLOOR STRAW MAT FOR OUTDOOR SEAT
- #5. ORIENTAL FURNITURE MEDITATION BACKREST CHAIR – BLACK & RED HIBISCUS
- Commonly Asked Questions About Tatami Seat Cushion
- What is Tatami?
- Mats for Martial Arts
- Zafu And Zabuton Meditation Cushion Set
- Thelitsea – Enjoy the breathtaking moment of your beloved home!
What is tatami made of?
Many years ago, handcraft men in Japan harvest rushed straw (or Igusa straw) and wove it by hand to create the soft covering of the Tatami mats.
The natural material is the secret that makes tatami is comfortable to sit, walk, and sleep on.
People use lots of Tatami products in everyday life: Tatami mats for flooring and sleeping, Tatami floor cushion for sitting, and other household and kitchen appliances.
Nowadays, almost all the Tatami items are made by machines with various new materials, but they always followed basic structures many years ago.
The basic structure of tatami is consists of Doko (base), omote (cover), and heri (border).
In which, the base is multilayered rice straw, which is tight fastened.
While the cover is the natural rush, and the border is crafted into a rectangle.
The natural-based brings a unique feeling for users based on its features: humidity controlling, thermal insulation, and durability.
The Tatami floor cushion features the traditional tatami and is well-known for its comfort, natural material, and timeless beauty.
Tatami cushion can be used as a floor seat or hold pillow, back pillow when you are sitting on the chair, sofa at home or in the office (Tatami office chair).
It specializes in relieve tailbone pain, sciatica pain, and back pain, for sedentary people such as officer and driver. It is also used in yoga, a meditation class, or a tatami seating restaurant thanks to its relaxing scent and natural outlook.
The material of Japanese tatami cushion – Igusa tatami acts as the air filter in the room, absorbing carbon dioxide and insulation both for temperature and sound.
Moreover, the cover (omote) absorbs the moisture in the room so that the Tatami items create a relaxed and healthy living environment.
Best Tatami Seat Cushions Shortlist (Updated List)
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can be changed
The Best Tatami Seat Cushion
- Product size: 19.6 x 4.3 in
- Item specification: Handmade
- Shape: Round pattern
- Color: natural straw color, similar to a creamy color
- Washable and not removable
The Tatami seat from Duoshida can be used as an indoor or outdoor tatami cushion.
It is one of the best Tatami seat cushions made of natural Igusa, handwoven with sponge foam futon padded, which is good permeability and mold proof.
It is ideal for living room, summer, and outdoor activities and is suitable for use in many places: chairs, footstools, and floor mats, dining chairs, balcony cushions, sofa, stadium seat cushion, yoga cushion or any other sites to sit.
Maintenance: Keep it dry and clean with a dry cloth.
If it gets wet, wipe with a dry cloth and leave it in the airy area to dry naturally.
- Unique beauty that is a combination of the oriental and the western culture
- The famous brand comes from experienced, skilled artisan from China with a high-quality guarantee.
- Modern and multi-functional, it could be flexibly used in various places
- Natural smell and meditation effects
- It is not waterproof and would absorb liquid.
- It is not soft and squishy, but comfortable.
- Product size: 15.75 x 2.36 in
- Item specification: Handmade
- Shipping weight: 3.2 pounds
- Material: Straw and silk cotton
The Tatami floor seat of Huawell is handcrafted from natural straw husk padded with space cotton, pure natural, and pollution-free, which creates a fresh and natural environment.
This is perfectly comfortable for floor seating, dining chair, office chair, sofa, or any place around your house and is rated as among the.
With natural material; it is breathable, comfortable, and great for being used as a yoga mat, meditation mat, and wave window pad.
Maintenance: Use a dry cloth to wipe the Tatami cushion before you use it.
If it is going moldy, put it in a dry and ventilated place.
If you use the wet towel to wipe it, please leave it dried before using it.
- Natural scent from rush grass.
- Breathable and cool in the summertime.
- It could be broken, falling apart
- It might shed the natural fiber quite often
- Product size: 19.69 x 7.87 in
- Item weight: 4.22 pounds
The Eshow Japanese tatami cushion is made of premium rush straw, no alley to the skin, and healthy.
The tatami cushion has a village charm, and natural style, which brings the country feel to your home decoration and perfectly fits in the living room, bedroom, or playing area.
It is soft and strong and could be flexibly used for chairs, floors, dining chairs, sofa, and any place around your home.
These beautiful Tatami seat cushions are perfect for minimalist decor or complement an apartment full of Asian antiques.
Maintenance: Do not let it gets wet for a long time, which causes mold.
Clean by a dry towel; if you wash it, put it under sunlight in a ventilated area to ensure it is totally dry.
- Large and sturdy, multiple functional cushions.
- Natural material with the rush smell
- The string might come out of the pillow and the straw could be broken when using
#4. YA-TUBE HAND KNITTED CABLE STYLE POUF FLOOR PILLOW SITTING CUSHION, ROUND PADDED ROOM FLOOR STRAW MAT FOR OUTDOOR SEAT
- Item weight: 1 pound
The Ya-tube tatami seat is hand-woven from natural grass, environmentally friendly, convenient, durable, and easy to store.
The Tatami cushion has retained its natural color, texture, and subtle fragrance of the plant.
It is produced with no artificial chemicals and paints; it is perfectly safe for babies, children, and meditation activities for adults.
- It is sturdy and fine for floor seating in various places.
- Safe for baby, children with free-chemical materials
- Cute design, add Asian culture touches for your house
- The size is quite small
- Easy to get mold if it gets wet and not be dry.
- Product size: 19 x 14.5 x 17 inches
- Item weight: 5.5 pounds
The classic Japanese design tatami chair is sturdy, durable, and comfortable to sit on.
It is ideal for comfortable floor level seating, tatami seating restaurant, gamers, and other sitting activities.
It has an elegant black and hibiscus fabric pattern that catch your eyes from the very first sight.
- The tatami chair forces you to sit upright without slouching, which helps keep your back straight and your shoulder back.
- Limited color available, hard to mix with a theme in your space.
- It is not very soft to sit on; you could add more cushion on the seat.
Commonly Asked Questions About Tatami Seat Cushion
1. How to clean the Tatami seat cushions?
Due to natural material, it requires regular caring to last as long as possible.
Please use dry towels to clean the surface.
If the liquid is spilled on it, use the dry cloth to wipe off, the stains may effects the color of the tatami seat.
Whenever you handle and clean the cushion, please move in the direction of a smooth surface to avoid breaking the tatami.
2. Where to buy a Tatami room chair?
Nowadays, you can just stay at home and pick the right Tatami cushion online, and it is soon shipped to your address.
There are hundred of buying site that offers various product and a wide range of price.
Just notice the rating, reviews to ensure its quality before paying for it.
3. What do the Tatami seat cushions use for?
The tatami cushion is a multi-functional household item, and it could be used in the bedroom/ living room to sit: on the sofa, playground, or any place around your home.
Being made from a natural material, it has a unique scent of rush grass and is popular use in meditation space.
4. What does tatami mean in Japanese?
Tatami is a type of material used as a flooring mat or tatami seat cushion in traditional Japanese-style rooms. It is covered with a woven soft rush of straw.
Traditionally, the core is made of rice straw, but modern tatami could also include compressed wood chips or polystyrene foam.
5. What tatami item smells likes?
Tatami floor mat or tatami floor cushion is usually made of, and trimmed with, “Igusa” or a light rush herb.
The most distinctive attribute of this green floor mat, which I think it is easy to say, is the scent of “Igusa;” it has a very unique smell, particularly when it’s fresh and freshly installed in a room.
With lots of benefits and unique features and outlook, the multi-function tatami cushion is the perfect choice to decorate your room.
If you are a starter in using Japanese style furniture, tatami mats are one of the most popular materials for producing a home-living item in Japan.
The best Tatami seat cushion provides many benefits for your health and adds elegant Japanese touches to your house.